New artists I should know?

Moderator: jimmya

Drakea83

New artists I should know?

Post by Drakea83 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:43 pm

So was just on the Greg Bates topic and Jimmy mentions there are a lot of new artists on the rise. Now I've been doing 100% Texas Music for the past 2 years and am getting to know a few of these guys now that I'm PD/MD at KORA in College Station. Who are the ones I might NOT know that I SHOULD know? Any of them more real country than pop that has serious staying power?

A dude I'm familiar with that doesn't seem to have much chart success is Christian Kane. My wife and I watch him on his show Leverage and I really enjoyed his "House Rules" album. What's keeping people from playing him?

Blocklo

Re: New artists I should know?

Post by Blocklo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am

I like Christian Kane too! I am not sure why he hasn't done better. There is just so little space out there for all these new artists.

I heard some things on the new Matt Stillwell today- I need to go listen more to that!

addie043

Post by addie043 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I came across this kid named ReVon and although he is not your typical country artist, he does country just as good if not better. I see him as a multi-format type. I went to one of his shows and he sang an original country song and blew me away. He also did a version of Minnie Repperton's Loving You in accapella and hit every note including the high pitch whistle. As the show went on, he performed dance tracks, urban tracks and end it the show with another country ballad titled "Bad Love". Best show I've seen in a long time. I don't know why he is not more well known but I am waiting to hear him on the radio.

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Matt's pretty good too, I like him. There are some artists that I see on the charts that don't look like they've got staying power, too many of them have very little substance to them.

As far as "not your typical country artist" who does dance and urban tracks... yeah, not my style at all. I like for my country music to be country music. It's fun, I'll listen and enjoy, but don't like playing that on the radio.

dustinhensley

Post by dustinhensley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 am

Drake buddy, I like the way you think! When is Country going to get back to being Country??

Don't get me wrong- there is alot out there that I really like, but there is a new crop of folks about to come in and tear the roof off the format, and I'm excited about it.

Thomas Rhett- His Dad is Rhett Atkins so obviously there is going to be some talent there. His first single is good, but go to YouTube and search for "Beer With Jesus." It'll change your life. I promise.

Jon Pardi- I met him briefly at CRS and he's a really cool guy. I just got his sampler at work and the whole thing is really good. I feel like he'll be one to watch.

Kip Moore- Same as Jon. I've heard alot of his stuff and it's pretty killer. And he's got this grit to his voice that I can't stop listening to. I'm diggin' him.

Chris Stapleton- He was the lead singer of a bluegrass band called, The SteelDrivers. Not sure how well this record will go over commercially but I don't care. I guarantee I'll be the first one in line to get it. If you're not familiar with The SteelDrivers look them up, but listen to "Hadn't Been For Love" first.

Drake White- Look him up. That's all I'm saying. You'll thank me later.

Ashley Monroe- I don't have to say alot about her that anyone that has half a brain doesn't already know. She's incredible and could sing a Chinese takeout menu to me and I would still love it. And Vince Gill produced her upcoming record. Boom.

Kacey Musgraves- I've heard some of the new stuff, and it's amazing. She has a way of taking such everyday experiences and making them into something fresh and unique that takes your breath away. Not kidding.

That's my picks for now. I could keep going but Jim is hollering at me to actually "do something." Whatever, that means.

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 am

Good picks Dustin! I can't wait to hear more from Kacey too! She was soooo good at CRS!

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Dustin, as I type this I'm listening to Garth "Friends In Low Places." He doesn't tell you how country he is in this song, he just shows you how bad arse he is by taking that dude's champagne, ha!

I like the Ashley Monroe and Kacey Musgraves picks. Been huge fans of both for a while now. Kacey is pretty well known here in Texas by singing on the Josh Abbott song "Oh, Tonight" that took over Texas radio.

My judgement is out on Kip Moore. I can't stand the "Something About a Truck" song. It's kinda clever, but no substance to me.

I'll take a listen to Drake White, but he's already got a strike against him from trying to capitalize off of my name...ha

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 am

I am going to listen to the Kip Moore record today and see how it holds up. I was not big on Something Bout A Truck at first but now I have been singing the dang thing in my car- guess it's one of those songs! Interested to hear more from him though and see what I think.

dustinhensley

Post by dustinhensley » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 am

There are a few cuts on that record I really like. I hope it does well for him.

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 am

I am liking the Thomas Rhett more and more. He is one artist that I would like to hear more from. I did see him do a short set at CRS but you know how the memory goes with CRS stuff ;)