Eric Church's Comments

Moderator: jimmya

jimmya

Eric Church's Comments

Post by jimmya » Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 am

By now you must have heard about Eric Church's remarks about 'The Voice' and other TV competition shows--this may start a good discussion on those kinds of avenues for artists to break in-

What are your feelings- Here is the story from All Access

EMI NASHVILLE artist ERIC CHURCH has released a statement following controversy, following the comments he made in a ROLLING STONE article about reality show talent searches. CHURCH was quoted as saying, “Honestly, if BLAKE SHELTON and CEE LO GREEN turn around in a red chair, you got a deal? That’s crazy. I don’t know what would make an artist do that. You’re not an artist.”

CHURCH responded to backlash after the article came out releasing a statement saying, “There are a lot of artists, due to their own perseverance, that have gone on to be successful after appearing on these shows, but the real obstacles come after the cameras stop rolling. Every artist has to follow up television appearances with dedication towards their craft, but these shows tend to gloss over that part and make it seem like you can be ordained into stardom. I have a problem with those perceived shortcuts, not just in the music industry. Many people have come to think they can just wake up and have things handed to them.”

CHURCH added that he has “a lot of respect” for what artists including CARRIE UNDERWOOD, KELLY CLARKSON and MIRANDA LAMBERT.

karengoodner

Re: Eric Church's Comments

Post by karengoodner » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 am

I am a big Eric Church fan but he did speak strongly in Rolling Stone. I think it's fine that he is not wanting to be involved in a reality show ever but we have gotten some great Country acts from those shows. I actually forget that artists like Carrie and Miranda even started that way though!

I think Eric is entitled to his opinion and I will remain a big fan of his. Now he just has to sort things out with Blake Shelton- not someone i'd want to offend. :)

dustinhensley

Post by dustinhensley » Wed May 02, 2012 12:13 pm

All I am saying is people need to watch what they say around Miranda. I feel like she's the type of girl that carries a knife in her boot.

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:49 pm

dustinhensley wrote:All I am saying is people need to watch what they say around Miranda. I feel like she's the type of girl that carries a knife in her boot.
Actually her flask she keeps in her boot has a hidden knife compartment.

Here's the thing about his comments, they're not 100% wrong. I'm not saying they're 100% right, but I do see a point of view he's coming from.

There are so many artists he bust their backs to try to get deals and for reason A, B, or C they're turned down or ignored. But someone on a reality show who hasn't put in road time gets a deal because they are cute and were on TV?

It's more of the record companies going after money and not standing behind the quality of music.

Remember that Miranda finished 3rd on Nashville Star. What happened to the people who finished first and second? The label squeezed all they could out of Buddy Jewell for a couple of decent songs. But Miranda kept at it, busted her @$$ and not letting anyone keep her down.

Those are just my two cents...

ctryfan1980

Post by ctryfan1980 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Chris Young won his season of Nashville Star. Even that didn't do him any favors. His first album failed and the singles did too. It wasn't til 2 or 3 years after his win and another album did he finally see success. So just cause someone is on or even wins a TV show doesn't mean they still don't have to bust their butt when they get off the show. Chris as the winner was the perfect example of that.

Also remember Nashville Star had 6 or 7 seasons, only Chris from one of the later year has been able to stick around the longest and have a string of hits. No other winners of that particular show have.

The most recent example of Scotty McCreery, he isn't getting his success handed to him. Carrie came off Idol with an instant #1 and every single she has had since has hit the #1 or #2 spot. Scotty has 2 #15 Mediabase peaks. His new single is taking off slow too. I'm sure his critics will argue its cause of the song and his fans will argue its cause of radio. I'm not debating this. I've seen other new artists debut in the past with this similar record on their first few singles who came into the business "the old fashioned way." Infact Eric Church's first few peaks is quite similar (#14, #19, #17). I'm just saying Scotty hasn't had anything handed to him like Eric claims people on these shows do.

Kellie Picker is still struggling 6 years after the fact of her Idol run, and she just recorded a critically acclaimed Roots Country album that Tammy herself woulda been proud of. Even when Kellie recorded more Pop Country songs she didn't make the top 10 til Taylor cowrote one of the songs.

So even coming off TV shows isn't a piece of cake. Its a new challenge all in itself.

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am

Yeah I think that's a good point. I think it's more about what they do once they have the deal after the show. There are plenty of artists on those shows who made it nowhere. I can understand artists going to tv shows as well. It's so hard to make it today that anyway to get noticed and have a shot to make the music you love is hard to resist.

nascarholly

Post by nascarholly » Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I agree with what he was trying to say, but to me, he needs to work on how he shares his feelings. In my opinion, the way that you deliver anything is what can make all of the difference. :) :) :)

God bless you and Eric always!!! :) :) :)

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto! (big smile)

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 am

Yeah I think he will be more careful in the future with a publication like Rolling Stone :) I was celebrating elsewhere with margaritas but I heard that Eric Church's show here on Cinco was awesome!

drunkymunky

Post by drunkymunky » Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 am

It was Karen!!

Hell of a show. Me and my girls went and had a big ole time!!
-TaMmY