FCC rules for drinking on the air?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
Drakea83

FCC rules for drinking on the air?

Post by Drakea83 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Had someone ask me the other day what the FCC rules and regulations were for drinking alcohol on the air and inside of a radio station. She said at one point she heard that it was against the rules to have alcohol on the premises of a radio station. Now I've been around long enough to see if that were the case, no station I've ever worked at adheres to that rule, ha! She also was curious as to how some people she knows gets away with drinking while on the air. I couldn't remember (or find) the correct answer. Anyone got the 100% truth for me on this thing?

thecheese

Re: FCC rules for drinking on the air?

Post by thecheese » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am

Growing up in Radio & Television stations in the late 70's and early 80's, I remember my father saying a time or two in passing that alcohol and firearms were not permitted on station property.. but he might have just been saying that to dissuade the local hill folk from bringing their guns (or their 'shine) to town.

I DID find this on the 'net, from a seemingly reputable source..
Ginny Z. Berson wrote:There are no FCC rules prohibiting possession of alcohol by adults at radio stations. Broadcasters must not be impaired (i.e. drunk) when broadcasting.

Many stations have policies prohibiting the consumption of alcohol by anyone
on the air; many have policies prohibiting any liquids other than water in
or around broadcast equipment; many have policies prohibiting any alcohol at
anything other than station-sanctioned events.

Ginny Z. Berson
Vice President & Director of Federation Services
National Federation of Community Broadcasters (NFCB)
1970 Broadway Suite 1000
Oakland, CA 94612
510 451-8200
http://www.nfcb.org

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 am

Back in the day when broadcast studios were often located at the transmitter site, you were not allowed to have alcohol because you were directly responsible for the transmitter readings (if I remember correctly). In the days of STL's you had remote readings and were still technically responsible for the transmitter unless you had an on staff engineer, but he or she would usually be there only during business hours so the night jock and overnight jock were considered in control of the transmitter (oddly enough the ones who were more prone to having alcohol in the studio). My understanding is that as long as you are not personally in control of the transmitter, then drunk, sober or otherwise is OK. Highly doubtful that station owners would say OK though (except if a stellar book came out and you whooped the competition.)

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am

Yeah partyshark, I thought I remembered something about being in control of the transmitter as well.

Thanks guys!