How Good are My Passwords?

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, jdenver, rogerwimmer

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

How Good are My Passwords?

Post by rogerwimmer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 am

Doc: Is there a way for me to find out how good (secure/safe) my passwords are that I use for different websites and other things? Thanks. - Anonymous

Anon: There are several sites on the Internet that provide that information for you. One site has several options to use – click here.

NOTE: Don’t enter your real passwords. Enter something that contains the same number of elements, but not the real elements you use

The key to passwords is how many elements you include. Here is how that works. For each element, there are 95 possible choices (52 upper & lower case letters, 10 numbers, and 33 special characters). If you have a password only two elements long, there are only 9,025 possibilities (95 x 95). For each element you add, multiply the preceding total times 95. 3 elements = 857,375 possibilities, and so on. An 8 element password has 6.6 quadrillion possibilities.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.